Tuesday, July 20, 2010

PowerPoints

Week Three
This week I learnt how little I knew about the wonderful world of PowerPoints.
I used basic PowerPoints frequently last year through the classroom’s data projector. After taking the time to do the PowerPoint Tutorial, I can’t believe how much more I could have been doing. I had no idea about the range of features on a standard PowerPoint: sound, animation, embedding YouTube clips (Click here for a step-by-step on how to do this) and transitions.

BUT, then I discovered the Interactive PowerPoint Tutorial. This takes the use of PPs to a whole new level. This creates a tool that is more like a website or a webquest but without the need for the students to be online. The interactive nature of the tool gives students greater choice and power over their learning. PPs are no longer just to reinforce, illustrate or complement the learning (as I have used them for in the past), now they can become the mode for the learning. This is a very flexible digital learning tool that can provide a safe and controlled learning environment to develop students understanding and skills.

PPs could be used in many different ways;
- to introduced, scaffold or be the hook to engage learners in the content
- to provide a mode for students to interacting and exploring the content
- to give students a vehicle to create and present their learning on a subject

After this week, I can now see that PowerPoints have far more value than just presenting the information. Students can engage with the tool to promote higher order thinking and problem solving skills. I will definitely be using this tool more effectively within my classroom in future lessons.
Until next time,
Lynn

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn,
    I really like your insight into how the interactive powerpoint can be used in an educational context. It makes me wonder how difficult it may be for students to use it, although the idea is fantastic. I was sitting in on a technology lesson at school the other day and the students were making a powerpoint presentation. They were having difficulty in applying their content to the slides and were more interested in learning about adding pictures (which did not exactly reflect the content they were covering). It was a year five class, and I am not too sure on how long they have been involved with powerpoint, but I think that possibly if an interactive powerpoint were demonstrated to them, they may have an insight into future applications for them.
    Just a thought
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy,
    I agree, it can be hard to keep students on-task and motivated when working on Power Point. One of my Mentor Teachers use to limit the students’ access to fonts and design applications so that they would concentrate on the content and not just playing with the layout.
    Creating something a little more interesting and dynamic, like an interactive Power Point, would definitely keep students more motivated and engaged. It may also offer an opportunity for differentiation of tasks as students with higher levels of ICT experience could be creating a more complex interactive Power Point while other students create a standard presentation format.
    So many opportunities and options to learn about.
    Thanks for your comments,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy and Lynn,
    You both come up with some great key points to consider before using PowerPoint as a learning tool. I agree with Lynn that a PowerPoint presentation is an interesting and dynamic way for the students to deliver and showcase their knowledge. Students have a greater feeling of ownership and can add creative flair, which I believe engages and allows room for intrinsic motivation. Incorporating ICT within the learning journey allows for a wider scope of learning whilst also connecting to the real world. It is a hands on practical activity that students will be using now and in the future. The aspect I like most about PowerPoint is the versatility of the program; presentations can be creative or more sophisticated. The user is in complete creative control. One idea I like is making a quiz instead of the traditional worksheets. This enables the students to have an interactive learning experience and also receive answers instantly with the use of hyperlinks.

    Kara

    ReplyDelete