Friday, July 16, 2010

Websites

Welcome to week 2 of my ICT learning journey.

This week I learnt about and created a website.



A website is an online set of 'pages' (documents) that have been posted by an individual or a group whom alone control the content. The host of the site can add and change information while viewers can only read and sometimes comment on the material. Websites have given individuals the ability to communicate with the world. They can be used commercially, socially, by the government or by individuals.

Websites provide educators with a varied and exciting range of possibilities. Students can post information to share with their parents at home or communicate with people on the other side of the world. The limitations are only the schools resources and the teachers/students ICT skills. Creating a website would be a very engaging tool for most students as the notion of sharing their knowledge with the world would appeal to their narcissistic nature.

The website I created was a basic representation of what a student could create as a class project. The program was very easy to navigate, insert text and pictures and embed You-tube clips. For this reason this would be one of the best tools I have used so far. Young students and those with low level ICT skills could easily be guided through the steps of creating a site. The static nature of the content would also make using a website safer and easier to control than a wiki.
When I have completed this E-Learning course, this is definitely a digital tool that I will spend more time getting to know as I am sure I will be using it within my own classroom.

Until later,

Lynn





No comments:

Post a Comment