Sunday, August 8, 2010

Interactive PowerPoints


When seeing an interactive PowerPoint for the first time in week 3 of the course, I was immediately struck with the learning potential that they hold. So when I was required to create a digital portfolio example for another class I instantly knew the format that I wanted to use. I created three different templates and used various features within the interactive PowerPoint.

The experience of creating these digital portfolios taught me a great deal about the flexibility and the possibilities that are accessible through this electronic tool. It was an excellent tool to make a digital portfolio through and students of any age or ICT skill level would easily be able to create a presentation in this format. Students could be scaffolded through the tasks of: creating hyperlinks (internal or external links), embedding videos or youtube clips, altering the layout and design and inserting images, sounds and text.

The skills developed through the creation of a PowerPoint presentation would be transferable across a range of programs such as in word documents or when creating websites, blogs or wikis. Assisting students to make these connections on the similarities in the skills can help learners to construct models and shape their developing knowledge (Marzano, 1997).

I have now been inspired to use both interactive PowerPoints and digital portfolios in my class.

The learning journey continues,

Lynn






No comments:

Post a Comment